Congratulations! Finding this set of guides and how-to documents is your key to getting set up for helping your child work effectively on their school work from home. Don’t worry, this is new to everyone and you have a great support network to get you through the difficult bits.
These guides are going to evolve as we find new and interesting quirks of the system, so please bear with us, be patient and check back for updates if you are stuck.
This guide is currently written for people using a computer web browser, other options exist:
- Microsoft Teams App (PC, Mac, iOS, Android)
- Phone or Tablet web browser
I suggest using this guide in a web browser on a computer first, then experimenting with other options later.
Section 1: How to log in
Note: This section represents the happy path. i.e. everything working as it should. If you run into problems please see below for some common questions and problems.
- Login to Microsoft Teams can be done from your web browser
https://teams.microsoft.com/ If you’ve never used teams before you will see this
- Type in your child’s school account username which ends @st-catherines.bolton.sch.uk then click ‘Next’.
- You’ll now be prompted to enter the password.
- If you have mislaid your child’s log in details (they are in the front of their planner as well as the blank exercise book and is the same as their log in to Purple Mash) please contact email@example.com
- You should now be logged into Teams and you should see a screen which shows the ‘team’ your child belongs to. This screenshot shows all the teams in school
Well done, you’re in!!
Any known browser or platform problems?
Funny you should ask … yes, there are always some of those! This section will detail these sorts of problems and any workarounds:
- On a Mac the Safari browser doesn’t work that well with Teams; it looks like it is working and sometimes does … but then it mysteriously fails. Best use FireFox or Chrome. I am on a Mac and I’ve found Chrome has not failed me.
- On an iPad the iOS version of Teams downloaded from the App Store seems to be working fine. Some notes:
- The MS Office document display within Teams on iOS isn’t great, it doesn’t display tables very well. You can open the files in the Word app on the iPad for better results