The Equality Act 2010 introduced a Single Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) that applies to all public bodies including maintained schools. In carrying out their functions, public bodies are required to have regard to:-
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct prohibited by the act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people.
- Foster good relationships across all characteristics.
To further the general duty the Government also introduced new specific duties which require schools to:-
- Publish information to demonstrate how they are complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty
- Prepare and publish equality objectives.
The Headteacher, Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees at St. Catherine’s Church of England Primary School regularly review the progress we are making to meet our equality objectives with regard to different groups (race, gender, disability, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, belief and maternity) under the Equality Act (2010)
St. Catherine’s Equality Objectives
- To review current legislation and ensure all policy and practice is compliant and understood by all members of the school team.
- To review policies to ensure they reflect guidance from Stonewall Education.
- To monitor and track the achievemnet of pupils by gender, race and SEND and to act on any trends or patterns that emerge, providing additional support for pupils.
- To raise levels of attainment and progress in all vulnerable learners and those with multiple barriers to learning.
- To maintain and build upon levels of pupil and parental engagement in learning and the life of the school, providing activities and resources to ensure equity and equal access.
- Ensure all areas of the building and school grounds comply with Government legislation relating to disability